Friday, May 08, 2009

What makes it work?

I could be talking about many things - a relationship, a recipe, or a piece of art, for example. But, I'm really talking about a scrapbook layout! lol As I work on my second downloadable class for Got Crafts?, I've revisited that age old question "what makes it work?"

The reason I ask myself this question as I'm designing (or browsing thru magazines or online galleries) is because the answers to this question will INSPIRE me, ENCOURAGE me, and TEACH me how to create layouts that I'm happy with. You see, if scraplifting a layout makes you happy and keeps you scrapping those stories and feelings that you want to share and preserve, then "it's a good thing". But, for some the goal is to really learn the HOW and WHY of a scrapbook design and apply it to their own pages to create something that makes them happy.

Asking and answering "what makes it work?" gives you key information to what you LIKE and what you might USE to design pages that you LOVE. Will the answers be the same for each person viewing the very same layout? Sometimes, but not always. You see, we all have different tastes and ideas about scrapbooking. But that's one of the things that makes this hobby so much fun! To get your own answers, you might have to really study the layout design, and imagine the layout without those key ingredients. Would it appeal to you as much? Would you repeat this technique on your own layout, or combine those colors or embellies for your own design?

So, be warned. My next class will be peppered with "the question", and some answers, too, in hopes that you will learn and grow and, most importantly, HAVE FUN!

What would this post be unless I included an example? I'm pulling out an oldie (but a favorite) to use as an example.




This was part of my HOF entry, way back when. I still smile so big when I look at it, because I remember how much fun we were having in the pool that day.

What makes it work?
(Remember, these are my own answers of why the page works for me. You might have different answers. There is no right and wrong!)

#1) the colors - the patterned paper colors don't exactly match the photos, but they are all bright and clear, and communicate happiness and fun
#2) the wavy pieces - wavy paper = water, splashing, and movement (lots of that going on in the pool)
#3) the little numbered strips - one of my favorite touches on the layout
#4) the chipboard arrows - among all the fun embellies (rubons, acrylic bubble sticker, ghost flowers, brads, and photo corners) the arrows lead your eye back to what counts the most, the photos and the story

I'd love to hear if you think this page works and why!

1 comment:

Karin said...

I think pulling in the background patterned paper to match the water pulls it together - as you said, the stripe paper doesn't exactly match. It adds a nice frame to the busy papers. I really like your layout...great inspiration for some fun summer photos of mine!