Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Who loves a challenge?

Scrappy challenges can often get us scrapping after an unmotivated period of time, or get us out of a slump (an uncreative period). Scrapsupply.com is celebrating their anniversary by playing some games and issuing some challenges, and I am playing along. For this particular challenge we were put into groups, and each member of the group chose a scrapbooking item or technique. Then, all members of the group (I'm on Team Purple) must create a layout with those items or techniques. My team list included 1)ribbon 2)journaling spot/die cut 3)flat embellishment 4)something pink (now WHO would choose pink?) and 5)something with polka dots (I didn't think of this one, but I love it).

My layout is posted in the gallery there, along with the layouts created by my team members (some are still working, as the deadline isn't until the 26th) and other teams' work as well. Be sure to check them out for inspiration!

I'm posting my layout here, too, with some detail shots. If you've never taken one of my classes at Got Crafts?, these kinds of detail shots are included for each layout, as well as detailed instructions. But, that's not all. The design process, as well as any techniques used, are also explained.

For instance, do you notice the 3 pink elements on this layout (pink ribbon, pink chipboard alphas, and pink paper)? Using pink in 3 places creates a visual triangle that leads the eye thru the layout and creates a pleasing balance.

Notice the "heavier" boat shot I placed on the left side with the "big" title above? The 3 flower and button embellishments anchor the right side of the layout, balancing those left side elements.

And although this layout is soft and pretty, look past the colors and patterns I used to the "bare bones"/basic sketch of the layout. Substitute your own papers, and use other circular embellishments in place of the flowers, and you can create a completely different "feel" for your page.



Lastly, do you love the look of scallops, but struggle using decorative scissors or don't own a scallop border punch? One trick is to use a circle punch (one of THE best basic tools). Punch circles and slip them up under the edge of your photos or paper to create a great border treatment!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Angelia, I love this layout! It's been forever since I've created an actual scrapbook page (as opposed to cards, altered items, etc). Hopefully I can dig into your new book this weekend and get some done! :)

GretaB said...

Gorgeous layout!! You rocked that challenge. I'll probably be the last to finish.