Sunday, June 10, 2007

vacation ideas?

Hi, all. I'm needing some help. My family would like to take a vacation - somewhere not to far away (because we would drive) and not too expensive (have you checked the rates on a beach condo rental lately?!) We did Chattanooga, TN, last spring, and I tried to convince the fam that Nashville sounded great to me...they aren't buying it. Basically, we need some kid stuff nearby (museum, water park, zoo, etc.), a great pool, and good food. We've been to the Pigeon Forge area few times, but never stayed anywhere that really made us want to go back. We've been to Big Cedar Lodge outside Branson, and loved it, but it's looking pricey to me this year. I've racked my brain, and thought I would ask my friends for some ideas - or specific places you've stayed that were nice, clean, and fun. Any help is appreciated!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey girly! Well, I wish I could help with the vacation ideas, but alas...I'm not well traveled in that area. But I AM going to CHA Chicago this year...are you going? I'd love to see you!!

Anonymous said...

Check out lonepineresort.com for a great lake, pool, close to the attractions, nicely priced cabin in the branson area! cloese to Silver Dollar city, Branson, the new titanic museum. We love it.

Anonymous said...

My family LOVES Branson! We are on a somewhat limited budget, but go all the time. We stay at a very clean, very inexpensive hotel there called the Savannah House. It is very basic, but spotless and has a to die for breakfast buffet and then a free ice cream, homeade cobbler and cappucino bar at night from 8-11. Don't know about the pool, but there is always Whitewater. You also want to check out the Shepherd of the Hills chuckwagon dinner and show. Very fun. You can find it under Branson'sBest.com We often drive over to Big Cedar to enjoy the view. Silver Dollar City is so much fun, as is Dixie Stampede and the Butterfly Pavillion. We also love the new Landing shopping area and Moonshine Beach at Table Rock Lake is amazing-crystal clear and clean. Another fun place to stay that has an indoor waterpark (rooms VERY basic) is the Grand Country Inn. It is similiar to a Great Wolf Lodge as far as the waterpark goes. We did that one Spring Break, and it was very fun. Right on the heart of the 76 Strip. If you want a really nice condo, try the Indian Point Resorts overlooking the lake and right by SDC. There's also a great German restaurant-pizza is the best right nearby. Tan Tar A resort in the Ozarks is also very fun, though not in Branson. Have you tried St Louis? There are a million things to do there. Of course, we love our own KC. Have fun planning. LaurieB@everestkc.net

Heather said...

Brandon & I have been wanting to plan a long weekend in Hot Springs. It looks like it would be a lot of fun and very relaxing for us. I'm not sure if they have stuff for kids to do though. What about Atlanta? They have that big new aquarium, Coke World, and Six Flags.

Donna Boucher said...

Visiting from Ree's to say, I love your picture! Just beautiful photography and subject :o)

What kind of camera are you using?

I have a guess :o)

Gwen said...

Hi Angelia! I thought I'd drop by to check on you today and since you asked a question, offer an idea. :) Someone mentioned Hot Springs - that would be a good destination and it would take you near the Crater of Diamonds State Park where you can go diamond mining! The boys want to do this so badly sometime - I'm sure your girls would love the idea! http://www.arkansas.com/things-to-do/diamond-hunting/

Anonymous said...

Hey Angela,

Stone Mountain Georgia now has a lot for kids.

India

Anonymous said...

I second the recommendations for Branson. We go pretty much every year, but we stay in a timeshare. We, too, love the Chuckwagon show at Shepherd of the Hills. Plus, Shepherd of the Hills has PONY RIDES in the summer. Nothing funner than that! :-) And Silver Dollar City rules. SDC put in a bunch of new little kid rides last year that your littlest might like. My DD loves all the music shows there, too.

St. Louis is great, too, plus there's the most amazing LSS in St. Louis, For Keep Sake. Good luck!

Cindy said...

No problem! I love your work - especially the ice cream one that was recently published in Scrapbooks Etc - it was so inspiring (I actually scraplifted it for one of my own layouts - i wonder if you noticed?)

Anonymous said...

Its so difficult to plan a vacation that's affordable and suits all the needs of a family. I'm sure you will come up with something great!!

Anonymous said...

Now....how about Utah?! ;) I know, I know, you want to drive! lol It would be great to have this way, though! I'm not much help since I don't know your neck of the woods very well...looks like you've gotten some great suggestions, though. Let us know what you get planned! julie

Jennifer Sizemore said...

Washington DC!!!!!

And on the way you can stop at Kings Dominion or Busch Gardens. Even though hotels can get pricey here, all the Smithsonians are free and we have LOTS of nice parks. There is soooooo much to do here - the ZOO, all of the monuments, Mount Vernon, etc.

Jen Gallacher said...

I'm with Julie. Utah sounds nice!! LOL! I have no idea how far, but the Aquarium in Atlanta I hear is pretty cool.

Anonymous said...

Hi Angelia, just wanted to congratulate you on your cover layout for Scrapbooks, Etc...and the sweet layout inside with the kitty cat -- too cute!! About the vacation spots, I have to second Branson. We know two families vacation there every year. Although I have no details or personal experience, I understand it is very budget and family friendly.

Kara Ward said...

If you go to Branson...you've better come see me. Only 3 hours away. I love a little town in Arkansas...Eureka Springs. It is known for it's springs of course. Not very far from Branson. A very charming town. I must be the only one out there...I am just not a Branson girl...I've been many times...maybe that is why. The kiddo's would like the water park, Dolly Parton's Dixie Stampede (you eat and watch a show without silverware), and Silver Dollar City. There are also some fun caves to visit. Good luck...you should pair up your trip to CHA with a family vacation Chicago offers so much to do. We want to go to the Musuem of Natural History.

Good Luck-Kara

Anonymous said...

What about Memphis? The zoo is awesome, downtown boasts lots of neat shops and restaurants, many museums including the Children's Museum and Pink Palace - you can't forget Graceland!
Hot Springs is another good one - they have a Science Musuem, the Bath Houses, Magic Springs and Crystal Falls.
Both would be good choices! I am looking forward to seeing you at SSSC - I love your work!